1. Chinese Studies
In Chinese studies has defiantly improved sense last year. Although I will be doing Spanish in sixth grade I will keep trying my hardest in all test till the end of the year. Last year I came in, in the middle of the year so I wasn't really with the group because I could not really read the characters and pronounce them correctly. Now I am doing well. I think that I was falling behind on getting my Chinese homework done, and now I am doing better.
I am doing pretty good in art with understanding what needs to be happening with the drawing or project that we would be working on. For example, we just finished the G.A.P -Grate Ape Portraits, we had a picture of an ape from the Jane Goodall institute. We had to draw the picture of the ape and get in all the light reflections and the dark shades and light shades. When I thought that I was done I still had to put in some light reflections and when I finished I got a " Beautiful artwork," from the art teacher.
I would say that I am doing good in music because I am in band I now rhythms and how to read the notes for the songs we play on the xylophone. There is also a website on the computers for music called Music Ace that helps us learn to get all the hard things down so we can really get good at playing music. We not only learn songs to play, but also learn songs to sing. I think my singing voice has really improved because of the way I sing along to the songs on my iPod.
I am a very athletic child because I started learning to play baseball when I was two years old and now I am involved with basketball, baseball, hockey and lacrosse. My favorite unit we have done so far in P.E is Project Adventure. It is were we were split into groups and we had to come up with a plan to complete the course. It got us involved in teamwork and so on. In each unit we do it helps the kids that don't and do play sports and are not to active improve there skills in either all the gymnastics units or any of the sports units.
Counseling has helped me with my cooperation skills. I think that I have been getting along with more kids now because of these lessons and that I know more people now that I have lived hear for a little over a year.
- write about how well you have done so far on these goals. Remember to use specific examples.
- if you have completed goals then discuss what new goals you have for the rest of the year.
- if you have not completed some of the goals, discuss what you will do for the remaining part of grade 5 to complete these.
- come up with one more goal to help you transition to grade 6.
I feel that I have improved in my writing by a lot because of my word choice and not getting to off on subject. Like if I was writing about myself, I wouldn't just start talking about my brother. That is what I don't do anymore because I have read lots of books by really good writers so I can see how to stay an the right track and go all the way through with my story. I haven't improved to much on my reading because I still think that I am only reading thirty minutes and as soon as the minute changes from say 7:29 to 7:30 I'm like " I am done!". Then there are other times were I really get into a book and I just keep going until someone says " You know you have been reading for an hour or two,". Math is really something I need to work on. I sometimes keep trying till I get it right, but then other times I just can't get it so I mite just give up and never go back until the liast minute with my parents but then I could feel better that I know I did a good job so I can get how to do it next time.
The one goal that I feel good about having it completed is my writing goal. So now my new goal will be to extend my writing instead of one or two paragraphs because if my writing is really good some people like my mom or brother and dad would ask my to make it a sequel or longer,something like that.
The goal I think I really think I need to improve on is math. I think that if I get more focused in the lesson then my home work will make sense. Once my home work makes sense math in class will make sense.
So I already know that I will need to improve math to really get good grades in 6th grade. Then there is the reading, I will need to read because I want to not because I have to. Then writing needs to be interesting and getting to the point quickly.
2. For each of reading, writing and math comment on the following;
- what have been some real successes, remember to use specific examples.
- what have been some challenges this year, remember to use specific examples
- how have you overcome your challenges
At the beginning of the year we had to write a fiction story and I wrote one that was really good. I got three 4 and two 5. In reading I got so curious about what was going to happen next that I ended up starting from page one all the way to page 205, which is the end of the book. Lastly for math, there was this one math problem that my parents and I spent all night trying to figure out until like 12:00. I was thinking about so hard about that in the morning I solved it and when it was turned in, it was correct and I did all on my own.
Math has been the most challenging this year, even though I have had some good days with it and some bad days. I would say the hardest thing in math this year would probably be the study links in my homework packet. I end up doing it all but then when my dad goes over it most of it is wrong. I really need to try harder to not rush through homework.
I have overcome the hard math by asking for help from mom or dad and even the teacher. So if this keeps up then I will be a much smarter mathematician.
2. Explain how this has helped you in your reading or writing.
1. Tell why you think it is important to be able to divide numbers. For what kind of problems do you need to use division?
I think the one reason you need to know division is when you go to different countries and the money has a difference in the amount of money so. Like I am from the U.S.A and there is a $8 money difference from Hong Kong.
2. Tell what part of this unit was the most difficult for you and why. Describe what you did to overcome any difficulties you had.
I think that learning the Partcial Quotents. I find the it easer to do the Long Division Method.
This is the one parable that Jesus explained to the people. Jesus got in a boat so all the people could hear him well because this was a important parable. There are four seeds that fall among something and they all mean something different. A farmer drops some seeds on the ground and the crows(The Evil) comes along and eats them. The next seed falls among rocky places where it wont have much soil. Other seeds fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. The others fall into good soil and grow well and stays alive for many years to come, it is like the man that hers the word of the Lord and stays with it for ever.
2. How have I changed as a writer so far? I think that I have changed in many ways because now I know how to use better word choice and to look back at the writing and make any changes if I need to. I now also know how to make sure I stay on the same subject in the story or piece of writing. One thing that I still need work on is the punctuation that I have not learned how to use yet.
3. What are three things I do well as a writer? I revise my work to the point were there are no mistakes. I don't use the same word over and over again unless I have to. And I always make sure my writing explains everything I needed to say.
4. What are some things I want to get stronger at as a writer? Using the punctuation that I have not learned yet. And letting the reader feel as if they were in the writing theme self.
5. What is my favorite piece, and what are the things I love about it? I love writing about either the first thing that comes into my mind or about something that I have experienced in the past. I love it because I like sharing my life.
Explain how making an array might help someone find factors of a number. To make an array you have to know how many rows and columns you are going to have. By that you have to put what you have drawn into a number sentence, like say you have six dots in a row and seven dots in a column then you do 6x7=42. Then you have to go back to your array and count all the dots to see if they add up to 42.
Look back at journal pages 2-28. What activity did you like the most and what did you learn. My favorite activity is on page 16 it is called Prime and Composite Numbers. There was a list of numbers and we had to put a P next to the numbers that were Prime and put a C next to the numbers that were Composite. I learned what a prime number was and what a composite number was.